National Order of San Lorenzo
ECU001 Orden Nacional de San Lorenzo
- Order was established on 17 August 1809, as a military order by the President of the First Revolutionary Government of Quito, Juan Pío Montúfar, II Marquis de Selva Alegre, in the Capitulate Hall of the Convent of San Agustín. Once the Council disappeared and the power returned to Spanish hands, the Order also ceased for more than a century.
- It was restored by Ecuadorian President Camilo Ponce Enríquez on 10 August 1959. Finally the law was restructured by president Gustavo Noboa Bejarano on 4 June 2001.
- Order awarded for civil and military merits.
- Order awarded in three grades: Grand Collar, Grand Cross and Grand Officer.
- Lawrence of Rome - one of the seven deacons of Ancient Rome under Pope Sixtus II.